Thursday, January 11, 2007

no magnum pi


Here are some shots from the Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks show on Tuesday night. Because I am a pirate, I stole them from here: www.tucsonscene.com. On the left is the Entrance (the opening band): notice how the left-handed frontman plays the guitar upside-down. On the right, note Stephen's molestor-stache. Speaking of which, mark your calendars: International Mustache Day arrives on April 20. Several participants are rumored to be preparing mullets for the occasion. I'm not man enough for a mullet, so I'll just have a mustache.

I had my first TA experience today. It (a) gave me new hope for loving my job, and (b) reminded me of the best parts of being a camp counselor. I have held only the following 3 jobs: camp counselor (5 summers), canoe guide (1 summer), astronomer (2.5 years). Sometimes I wonder if maybe I should have tried some other things somewhere along the way, just to see if maybe I'd be good at something else. When I was younger, I thought about all sorts of other jobs, like being a minister or a mapmaker or a novelist. Maybe I sort of naturally fell into what I do, without really thinking about it too hard, but I've done pretty well: about 85% of the time, I love being an astronomer. Now my job includes teaching, which was a significant part of why I loved my other two jobs so much.

No comments: