Wednesday, January 17, 2007

my 2nd handgun violence experience in tucson


I kinda sorta witnessed an armed robbery last night. I was at Target, to finally get my dad his birthday card... and I was distracted enough to miss the whole thing. Some time while I was browsing the cards, someone pulled a gun and robbed one of the front registers. Nobody was hurt, but the employees were pretty shaken up. (I took this photo right after I left... I'd like to tell you that the shaky camera work was intentional.) On my way home, two cars of cops had already pulled their suspect over: they had some guy in a little red coupe with his hands out the driver side window.

When I told nopey about it:
me: yeah, it was really weird. I'm kinda freaked out about it.
nopey: dude, what are you worried about? go home and polish your guns, and you'll feel safer.
me: oh yeah, I always forget that I own guns.

I grew up hunting, and while I've only hunted once since I've moved to Tucson, I do own a flintlock rifle, a shotgun, a .22 rifle, and a 30-06 rifle. I keep them locked in a gun safe in the back of my house. I will never own a handgun. The difference between my hunting guns and handguns? My rifles and shotgun are designed for killing animals. Handguns are designed for killing people.

2 comments:

Mandy Proctor said...

I agree with your distinction between the two types. I am not really a gun person at all, but having grown up in a place where killing wild animals protects your farm, I am not opposed to people owning rifles and such.

Anonymous said...

Hah! Jonno has a blog, and that is excellent.

Educate me!