Tuesday, January 9, 2007

my office


Last night, at 80s night, a real estate agent asked me what my typical day is like, as an astronomer. 90% of the time, this is it. This ought to be a busy week for me, but mostly I've been waiting for collaborators to send me things. And my motivation is pretty low, due to distraction and the lingering siren call of vacation. However, no matter how little work I'm getting done lately, my office remains unassailably cool. Cool shit, from left to right:

1. photos of cool places I've backpacked / paddled and beasts I've slain
2. itunes... it, and web-surfing, are mostly the only things I do with my (work-bought) laptop. crucial to my sanity.
3. pirate flag
4. ship's wheel, netting, plastic sea creatures, starfish (the real thing, dried, as it turns out)... these were part of a valentine's day gift from k-luv, and are probably one of the most well-thought gift packages I've ever received... though I still haven't figured out what to do with the giant sail she also made me
5. plastic skull (from #1), holding a sound-making monkey pen (from my mom) and booty (from k-luv)
6. coconut monkey head from puerto rico, a gift from lady of the lake which was the first decorative element in the office.

Unfortunately, my chair has begun to emit a noticeable odor. (I grabbed it from someone else's office six months ago, so it's probably not entirely my doing.) If anyone knows how to clean a chair in a way that doesn't involve hosing it down outside, let me know.

No comments: