Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Anger is Armor


I went out and saw Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks last night. I rate the show as "pretty good," and I liked the opening band, the Entrance. Also, the Jicks bassist is gorgeous... though I think I've always had a thing for female bass players. Even when I used to see orchestral performances, I'd love the girls playing the stand-up string bass. Joey Burns (of Calexico) was at the show too, and right after the Jicks finished playing, he made a beeline for the bassist. (the hater: Who does he think he is?!?) The first time I saw Calexico, just over 2 years ago, k-luv introduced me to Joey after the show... it was comical to watch his eyes, and see how clearly he didn't care who she, or especially I, was, once he saw that she was with a guy. k-luv also told me stories that her friend dated him off and on for a while, and he treated her like garbage. That's probably what you get for dating rock stars (note to self)...

Last night I was thinking that it's a shame it doesn't rain more often here in Tucson... rain is especially useful in reflecting one's mood. (Playing blues harmonica works in a similar way.) I think that rain lends a stability to depression, and it's the instability, the way that almost anything can knock you back down with an ill-connected thought, that is my most hated part of depression.

Lo and behold, when I left work today, I had my wish... as you can see in the photo above.

No comments: