Thursday, January 25, 2007

Arrghh! It's me meat-loaf!


Back to the archives for this photo... straight from the Boys of Hawk Mt calendar, this is me, aged 17, at the Scout camp where I worked five summers. I'm wearing the jacket of CPR practice doll Rescusci-Annie. It's a bit of a tight fit. (For some reason, we also had a Rescusci-Baby that summer, which we named Gizmo. I could not fit in the baby's clothes.) Along with first aid, that summer I also taught knots & ropework, campfire cooking, and wilderness survival.

Recently I've been doing a lot of thinking back to my camp counselor days, mostly because I've been a little disenchanted with astronomy. When I worked at the summer camp, it was the closest to being a rock star that I've ever been... it was crazy how much those kids looked up to me. And I really felt like I was helping them, not only by teaching, but in giving them advice too. I've just started TA-ing, and it seems that teaching astronomy can make me happy in many of the same ways. I'm looking forward to it.

And now, let's bring it all back. Bird & I used to M.C. the campfire cerermonies each week, and we'd throw in a skit of our own if the program was running short. By far, my favorite skit was "Death by Meatloaf"... this is probably because it involved walking with a pegleg and talking like a pirate. Whenever I pull meatloaf out of the oven, I cry out: What be in the pot? / Arrghh, it's me meatloaf / Avast! Can I try some?

Last night, I made meatloaf. It was delicious.

Song of the Day: Meat Loaf - I Would Do Anything For Love (But I Won't Do That)

1 comment:

nop.bot said...

you look SO gay

and you should get bat out of hell part III - it just dropped a few months ago