Monday, December 4, 2006

spyware for the forces of good


The Hater* recently turned me on to last.fm. It is awesome: it figures out what you're listening to, then gives you all kinds of recommendations on new music and local concerts. It even plays a "recommended radio" for you, where it just plays full song after full song of stuff it thinks you will like, and you can skip songs you don't. I was craving a fix of new music, and last.fm has me fully satiated. I highly recommend it. (And if you do it, feel free to make friends with "slaminaaction" to see what I listen to.) Rock!

I still remember when my first college roommate and I would sit around coming up with lists of potential punk covers over games of techmo bowl. Needless to say, we've grown a lot in our musical tastes since then, as he reminded me at his wedding last June.

*Note that despite the Hater's nickname, he has transcendant musical taste. He's only made one slip-up: denying that Live: Throwing Copper defined a generation. Hating on Live will get you that sort of blog-persona-nickname.

2 comments:

Mandy Proctor said...

Wow. So far I really like last.fm!

action said...

It's a little tricky, because you have to download an extra program so that last.fm "scrobbles" what you listen to in itunes. That extra program is "iscrobbler" for a mac, or "isproggler" for windows, and it's on the last.fm site.