Wednesday, December 13, 2006

I'm nostalgic for conversations I had yesterday


Kicking & Screaming is amazing. (I'm talking about the 1995 Noah Baumbach film, which is most definitely not the new Will Ferrell soccer-coach toolshed of a movie). It's more than a little dangerous for a graduate student / possible lifelong academic. I saw it for the first time last night, and it's immediately cracked my top 5*.

When I go to a movie rental place, I usually wonder how there can exist so many movies, especially when around 80% of them are genuinely shitty. But the truth is, I'm a total sucker for this simple formula: a mostly good but obviously flawed precocious guy, and a sweet but increasingly fed-up girl. This doesn't have to be presented all that well to make me ridiculously wistful. I think most movie-makers know this, because you find this equation in a huge variety of films (from John Hughes to Rocky, as well as 4 of my top 5). And why does it usually put me into wistful daydreaming for days? Welcome to my life... or at least, what I make of it. Some part of me knows that Grover and Jane are actually far less of me and k-luv than I'm making it out to be... but the majority of my brain simply dwells in that nostalgia.

*along with Dead Poets Society, High Fidelity, Magnolia, and Last of the Mohicans

No comments: