Tuesday, December 5, 2006

The Beaver & the Squirrel: When the nut was gently molded and made whole again

A few nights ago at Plush, I met a guy who is hoping to study alternative energy at Berkeley. We got into a long conversation about how Tucson is not a place like Berkeley/SF, in terms of fun stuff to do, political views, conservation, etc... The picture above is from my most recent visit to the bay area: that's me & the Sunshine Rider at the Japanese tea garden inside Golden Gate Park. I was on my way back home from China, and I originally planned the trip to visit with k-luv in SF. When she & I split up, Sunshine Rider was kind enough to step up and host me instead, only a few weeks in advance. He knew how to show an old friend a good time: (1) a long night of drunken comaraderie, including a botched pool break-in and will you make out with me if I take my top off?; (2) wandering around Golden Gate with massive hangovers, where the first ten people we walked past all offered us drugs; (3) an in-house bartender, who made me omelets and even made my Chinese liquor reasonably drinkable; and (4) cheese, which I was seriously craving after 2 weeks in China. Sunshine Rider was both my RA in college and the organizer of the party at which I first got drunk. His birthday was on Saturday, so... happy birthday! (four days late)

Anyway, I love the bay area. I think it would be awesome to do a postdoc at Berkeley. However, the place best for me academically is probably the Carnegie institute in Pasadena, since I'd be able to do a ton of observing in Chile. I'm a little nervous about living in LA for even 2 years... but really, I've only been there for a very short visit, so I'm not really giving it a chance. Perhaps I should see if Dr A can handle a visitor for a weekend...

*The title is in reference to the epic of Tyrillion written here.

No comments: