Monday, February 26, 2007

"this film should be played LOUD"

I watched The Last Waltz tonight. This film kicks so much ass that it defies all written description. It's Martin Scorcese's interpretation of The Band's last concert at Winterland, San Francisco. If you didn't know, The Band began as the Hawks with Ronnie Hawkins, then became Bob Dylan's touring band, then moved to a commune in Woodstock and started performing on their own. For their last show (after 16 years of touring), they performed with greats like Neil Diamond, Joni Mitchell, Eric Clapton, Van Morrison, Muddy Waters, Neil Young (above, with Rick Danko and Robbie Robertson, guitarists of The Band), and of course Bob Dylan. The Last Waltz is the filmed memory of the event.

When Rick Danko sings Stagefright, I believe him.

Joni Mitchell is clearly a powerful woman in a man's world.

Neil Young is raw and beautiful, bleeding his lyrics out. Also, I want to grow my hair like him (minus the chops).

And much, much more. They know it's their last show, and they are passionate about communicating their music... it's as if they know that this performance will be one of the greatest ever, even as they're playing. That invincibility, coupled with the passion and the earnest desire to struggle to change the world, is why I love music.

If you love rock & roll, you owe it to yourself to watch this film.

It should be noted that recently, a friend pointed out that I've transformed from a bassist to a lead guitarist. Of course, I play neither instrument (only piano, trumpet, and some harmonica for me): this is just personality metaphor.

I love watching Robbie Robertson play.

Song of the Day: The Band - Life is a Carnival

No comments: