Friday, March 9, 2007

like pete palladino at the crowbar


Luca played at Congress last night. It rocked. And... it was for charity, too. Some lucky homeless dude is going to get a can of delicious baked beans, all thanks to me.

Monkfish knows the Luca's frontman (Nick Luca), so we chatted with him after the show. I always get a little flustered and giddy when I'm talking to rock stars. Of course, you've almost surely never heard of Luca. And while they have a couple of albums on the market, I think that's largely because Nick Luca works for a recording studio. So they're not that big or anything... but it doesn't matter to me. It's a huge rush

Oh god oh god how I want to be a rock star.

I didn't have my camera, and my usual contingency photographer, nop.bot, left his at home in favor of his flask. So instead, you'll find a photo I took the day after, at the courthouse downtown.

At the show:

1. We met a guy who moved to Tucson solely to live in Tucson. Previously, I had assumed that all people in Tucson either (a) came here for college and never left, (b) had family ties here, (c) are passing through, or (d) are republican engineers / air force people / rich snowbirds. Well lo and behold, at least one guy moved here just because he thought it would be a cool place to live. According to L, usually when there are fun things to do in a city, it has a high cost of living. But in Tucson, it's ridiculously cheap (as a grad student, I make more than the median income), and yet there remain fun things to do.

2. Talking with kat, the hot librarian:
kat: you know, I've never slept with a virgin
me: me neither.
hmm... is that Islam, where you get like 80 virgins when you die? who the hell would want that? i mean, who wants to have sex with 80 people who don't know what the hell they're doing?
kat: [laughs] how's the no-virgin thing worked out for you?
me: pretty good... you?
kat: awesome.

Song of the Day: Calexico - Feast of Wire

1 comment:

Chickytava said...

OMG, hot librarian? Now THAT'S a compliment! And boo to virgins!