Saturday, March 10, 2007

into the wild


I've been hosting one of the five prospective graduate students visiting my program over the past few days. At one point, trying to convince them that my opinions were honest, I said you know, nothing really happens to us whether or not you get accepted here. it doesn't really matter to much to us. Shortly afterwards, I realized that in our own best interests we current grad students should be convincing these people *not* to come, in order to save more funding for ourselves.

The prospective student flies to visit Santa Cruz or Caltech or Berkeley (I forget) tonight, just in time for me to fly to Chile tomorrow. I've been using the book in the photo above to try to figure out a good backpacking trip to take after I finish the observing. If you know me, you may want to take note of the rough itinerary I have posted below, just in case something goes wrong. After all, entiendo solo poquito espanol.*

Finish observing morning of Fri, 3/16. Fly back to Santiago arriving at 1:20 pm. Taxi to terminal alameda, then 7-hour bus to Los Angeles, terminal santa maria. Taxi to local bus terminal santa rita, then 1.5-hr bus to El Abanico. From there, an 11-km hitchhike / hike to the Guarderia Chacay, the entrance to Parque Nacional Laguna del Laja. Then two days of backpacking around Volcan Antuco, followed by a return trip. And maybe hotels in Los Angeles the nights before and after the trip.

Song of the Day: Neil Finn - She Will Have Her Way

*
In fact, I'm not even sure if poquito is even a real word, but I do seem to get the message across well enough when I say this.

No comments: