Sunday, March 25, 2007

hammer time!


Hammer Time!, my grad student league softball team, had its first game today. Yesterday, at our "practice," I kept swinging and missing... since I'm the captain, I felt pretty shitty about sucking so hard. So today I took my trusty Hammer (above) and a ball, and pounded the ball against the back wall of my backyard (any patrons of the art gallery on the other side of the wall may have been a little confused). Anyway, we dominated... I was all ready to do the hammer-dance (it's called the typewriter, says one of my teammates), but we also had to forfeit because we were shy a couple of girls for the co-ed rules.

Hellmouth also headed back to PA this morning. I hope he was as happy to see me as I was to hang out with him again.

All in all, I'd call it a top 100 weekend*. That is, I expect only 100 weekends to be this good over the whole of my lifetime. My state of mind is evidenced by my Friday-night conversation with k-luv, who I was too drunk to remember to be mad at:

me: so how's life?
k-luv: uh, pretty good. i'm tired now, I guess...
me: what? why are you tired?!?
k-luv: because it's 1 am!
[pause]
k-luv: how are things with you?
me: oh god... awesome... life is good, I mean... the best! the best ever! shit, there's so much... I mean, I was just in chile. you probably heard about that, right?
k-luv: oh yeah, everybody was talking about it
me: what? really?
k-luv: no, I was just making fun of you. but yeah, I heard about it
me: okay... uh... I'm going to go over there now

Now I'm just finding my feet again, trying to catch up at work.

Song of the Day: Modest Mouse - Ocean Breathes Salty

*Why do I like making such lists and proclamations? Probably because I've watched High Fidelity too many times. It is, after all, in my top 5.

No comments: