Thursday, March 15, 2007

driving miss imacs


The control room of the telescope I'm at in Chile. There are exactly 20 monitors, plus my laptop and a PC in the back corner. I only use this laptop to surf the web / check my email / play old DOS games, and the PC's only use has been to play music through the stereo (it's playing Blonde on Blonde at the time of this post). Every 40 minutes, I re-align the telescope, and I set up another 40-minute run. Then I go back to web-surfing / playing colonization / reading about backpacking in the Patagonia. Sometimes I get really ambitious and run some reductions in the background. And sometimes I step outside and check out the galactic bulge and the Magellanic clouds (for you non-astronomers, these are galaxies that orbit our own Milky Way, they look like great big fuzzy patches on the sky).

This is observing. I'm happy here.

Song of the Day: Bob Dylan - Temporary Like Achilles

No comments: