Thursday, August 23, 2007

battle at kruger: except I'm the baby buffalo


It's 1 am. In 6 hours, I'll board a plane to begin my two-week trip to Africa. I'm sitting in my office because I don't have internet at home. I biked here, because I decided to celebrate the imminent departure with a bottle of wine (a la nop.bot), and it's roughly 10,000 degrees outside in Tucson (yes, even in the middle of the night), so I'm dripping with sweat.

I find it easier to just stay up all night when I have to fly somewhere far away beginning early in the morning.

#2: okay, I have a story for you. wait, I should wait until you get back...
me: [assuming/hoping it's about a girl and grinning] umm... what?
#2: all right, I'll tell you know. so this friend of a friend of a friend, their grandfather studied birds in africa.
me: [realizing that it's not about a girl and I'm an idiot]
#2: so he gets kidnapped while he's there! it's by some tribe, and his family tries to get help, but the government isn't helping. finally, they find some official who will help ransom him back, and they pay like $2 million to get him back safely. he lived, but he was really sick for the rest of his life.

Mostly, I'm nervous about successfully meeting my friend in Johannesburg and getting eaten by hippos on our dugout canoe safari in Botswana. But I think it'll be okay. Today I bought a guidebook to Southern Africa, which I will read on the plane while I'm not embroidering my messenger-bag-patch.

I've been in need of an adventure. Let's see how this does.

(Pictured above is ginny, who recently departed on her own 3-month adventure to China. Of course, it's far more complicated than that, but I'll let you make your own assumptions.)

Song of the Day: Dispatch - Open Up

No comments: