Friday, November 24, 2006

before the pilgrims, there was no alcohol?


I've spent the last 2 Thanksgivings with friends, on the other side of the country from my family, and I love it. I mean really, at this point, these people are my family anyway, except that it's not as embarrassing to drunkenly discuss sex. And even though the host & hostess didn't let me deep fry a turkey like last year, it was still a glorious holiday.

shf: Dude, look at all this food.
me: Yeah, there's like what, 15 trays of sides? Two turkeys and a ham? And 8 pies? So basically, everybody gets half a tray, a quarter pie, and lots of turkey and ham.
shf: I swear, this is my favorite holiday.
me: Hmm... maybe if we dressed up too, then it would be my favorite holiday.

Then I remembered that back in the day, we actually did dress up for Thanksgiving. I was an Indian, but the Pilgrims thought they'd be all clever and dress up like Chaucer's pilgrims in the Canterbury Tales. I thought the Pilgrims were pretty lame until they began sharing the Knob Creek. Just like on the first Thanksgiving...

1 comment:

ecourchesne said...

Holy shit Jon, cut your hair!!! You look like a hippy!