Tuesday, June 19, 2007

stew instead of fry


The ToN. An annual event in which more than a dozen old friends from college get together and... well, we do a lot of things. Here is a brief list:

1. Drinking. All involved are very pompous drinkers. Two of us brew our own beer, three others are pompous cocktail makers (one of whom runs a cocktail blog). However, let not our taste for quality indicate that we do not also consume great quantities. I transported 70 pounds of "Longrifle's Cactus Brew" across the country just to share with everyone.

2. Penguins. Just trust me on this one.

3. Competition. From canoe races to Legos to culinary battles. There was also a greased watermelon.

4. The invention of new words, and the resurfacing of old ones. Like cockholster. Nothin' like a good cockholster... Also see: pumate.

5. Music. Four guitar players, three fiddle players (one of whom also plays stairway, etc on her harp), two harmonica attemptees, and several who just make up their own songs.

6. the Seltzer. There is only one.

7. Fire. I lit myself on fire, intentionally and while sober. Thankfully, the fist-sized burn on my chest is healing quickly. I think all around me thought it was mostly cool, except for the stench of burning hair.

8. Semi-nudity. This was kind of a new one this year, and video evidence indicates that I was the ringleader.

me: You're wearing 100% too much shirt! Frost-Arrow! Come with us! [sunshine rider]! You're still wearing a shirt, what the hell! sunshine rider!!! Okay... it's canoe time. Canoe! Time!
frost-arrow (trying to drag me away): okay, let's canoe...
me: I'm portaging, I'm portaging, it's cool... ohhh, let me slip it down. Okay! There is only 50% shirtlessness! [lingerie warrior], you're doing well.
lw: thank you
shroom: look, you've got more than 50%
me: okay, there is only 67%!
lw: look, you won't be the ToN whore, because 50%, I mean... I.
shroom: If I take my shirt off, then...
me: I mean, if I have to, I'll take my pants off!

etc. (my version of a "scary campfire story" was to say it was a dark and stormy night then turn around and moon everyone)

I also spent the last week in New York. But I just wrote a letter to E about that, and I'll probably write another one to fiery ox... so you can just ask me how that went.

Song of the Day: Tiger Army - Outlaw Heart

No comments: