Wednesday, October 10, 2007

a woman (not my wife) sang / to me of the ghost land


A similarly blogging friend recently did a post creating a movie soundtrack from one's (randomly shuffled) music. I love music, and I hate astronomy, so I thought I'd kill some time at work with it. The relevant "movie" moment...

Wedding scene: Rilo Kiley - Ripchord. Now, at first, I was ridiculously excited, because of my grand scheme to marry Jenny Lewis (see the photo above, from last night's Rilo Kiley show in Tucson... it's a crappy picture, but I was distracted). But then I realized that Jenny Lewis doesn't actually take part in this particular song... instead, it's all done by the lead guitarist, who as a child was Pinski (Budnick's replacement) on Salute Your Shorts. Anyway, not my wife (Jenny Lewis). And then I realized that the lyrics to this song include 'cuz nobody loves you, etc. So much for coincidental fate. Even despite all my carefully laid plans, I am not, in fact, currently wed to Jenny Lewis.

In case you're wondering, or are looking to kill some time of your own, the iTunes-randomly-generated soundtrack to my autobiographical movie would go as follows below. I especially like the Driving and Death Scene choices, both of which I might have actually selected.

Opening credits: Modest Mouse - Styrofoam Boots/It's All Nice on Ice Alright
Waking up: The Velvet Underground - Pale Blue Eyes
First day of school: The White Stripes - This Protector
Falling in love: The Who - Happy Jack
Breaking up: Iron & Wine - Sunset Soon Forgotten
Prom: Tiger Army - Under Saturn's Shadow
Mental breakdown: Natalie Merchant w/ Billy Bragg & Wilco - I Was Born
Driving: Neil Young - After the Gold Rush
Flashback: The Beatles - Rocky Raccoon
Getting back together: Rage Against the Machine - People of the Sun
Wedding: Rilo Kiley - Ripchord
Birth of child: Goldfinger - 99 Red Balloons
Final battle: Counting Crows - Big Yellow Taxi
Death scene: Ben Kweller - Wasted & Ready
Funeral song: Johnny Cash - Flushed from the Bathroom of Your Life
End credits: Pavement - Newark Wilder

and the song of the day, one past the list (and certainly soundtrack-worthy)... The Beatles - A Day in the Life

No comments: